About Gymnastics

Douglas Gymnastics Club teaches the Disciplines of Womens and Mens Artistic gymnastics, or more commonly known as Olympic gymnastics. Our girls perform on 4 apparatus – Vault, Assymetric Bars, Balance Beam, and Floor Exercise, while our boys train on Floor Exercise, Pommel Horse, Rings, Vault, Parallel Bars, and Horizontal Bar.

Gymnastics is regarded by sports physiologists as one of the core foundation sports for children. In fact, gymnastics makes up one sixth of the primary school physical education curriculum in Ireland and it makes up one eight of the post-primary physical education curriculum.

About Gymnastics in Douglas

At the gym, we teach both men’s artistic gymnastics and womens artistic gymnastics. Every child starts off with a 1 hour a week session on a Saturday morning or Friday evening. These aim of these sessions is fun, and we hope that all the kids enjoy there time here. It is from these recreational sessions that we do our talent scouting, and a parent may be requested to bring their child in for more training either during the week or for a longer period on a Saturday.

Several of our gymnasts are members of regional squad, and national squad, and each year we see douglas gymnasts wearing the Irish Tracksuit in competition. Similarly, many of our coaches are heavily involved in judging, squads, various committees etc.

Facts and Figures about Douglas Gymnastics Club

We currently have over 300 members in the club – the vast majority of them children. Around 80% of our members are female. 72% of our members live within 3km of our training venue, with the remaining 28% travelling from all over Cork City and County, some commuting over an hour to training. All of our members are affiliated with our national governing body, Irish Gymnastics.

We have 16 adult coaches in the club, plus 20 of our teenage members assist with coaching our recreational classes. We have probably the most number of gymnastics judges of any club in Ireland with 25 qualified judges across mens and womens artistic gymnastics. Our coaches are accredited with the National Coaching and Training Centre in Limerick.

Facility

Our gym is located in Douglas Community School from whom we rent the sports hall. It’s not a permanent setup, so we have to erect the equipement for each session. We have a full compliment of Mens and Womens equipment, meaning we can train gymnasts to a very high standard. We continually purchase additional equipment to replace and compliment the existing – constantly rearranging our store room to fit it all in!

We currently train 18 hours per week, renting the sports hall in Douglas Community School, and another hall in Ballincollig. We spend about 25% of our ‘training time’ setting up and dismantling the equipment needed for our sport. While most of our members train just one or two hours per week, our elite gymnasts need to be training 25 to 30 hours a week in order to compete effectively against their peers, so we have advanced plans to develop our own training centre.

Ethos & Community Work

Douglas Gymnastics Club is a community club, run by a voluntary parents committee. Our goal is to help every child achieve their potential, at whatever level of gymnastics they wish to partake in. We encourage all our members, as they get older, to further their lifelong development in the sport by offering coaching and judging courses and various clinics; thereby ensuring they are developing their knowledge and responsibility both inside and outside of the gym.

We also see ourselves as an elite level Women’s and Men’s Artistic Club, but are very proud of our recreational and beginner groups. We place emphasis on the social development of each child by: regularly organising extra-curricular activities, attending and hosting friendly competitions and training camps.

We have an excellent relationship with the other gymnastics clubs in Cork, and throughout Ireland. We also are actively involved in the Special Olympics movement, including hosting many events, committing volunteers, and assisting with training sessions.

Douglas Gymnastics Club won the 2008 Lord Mayors Community & Voluntary Awards for our contribution to the community.

Club Structure

The club is managed by a voluntary committee of 12 parents, who do all the work behind the scenes. The committee is elected annually at our AGM, where parents of our gymnasts are invited to attend, and are eligible to stand for office. The club is set up as a limited company, as well as having charitable status with the Revenue Commissioners. We are full members of Irish Gymnastics, and it’s constituent sections.

For a printable flyer about our club, click here: DGC-OverviewFlyer